Saturday, July 14, 2007

Dogsitter

I've never had a dog. I've never had a pet that needed to go for a walk a couple of times a day, or depended on me for food or even expected me to play with it. I've never been able to join in when the other kids talked about their pet's names, or how cute they were when they slept, or even the mischief they got into over the weekend. And yet throughout my life I have been a dogsitter. I have tried to cross the line that stands between pet owners and the rest of us.
Every summer my neighbor would go on vacation, giving me more money than I'd ever made before to watch their dog. At first I was nervous. I'd get scared each time I turned the key in the lock and heard her bark, but as time went on I started to enjoy the walks and playing the backyard. I looked forward to their vacations just as much as they did.
Today I find myself again dogsitting. This time Ollie is staying with us. Making herself at home on our couch and learning the route to the dogpark just a few blocks from our place.
The exciting part of all this is for the next 3 weeks, I can pretend that I'm not just a dog watcher, but a dog owner. I can join the special club, and stand tall with all the other dog owners in the park. Smiling proudly as Ollie plays with the others, finds the ball, and rolls in the dirt. For just 3 weeks I can pretend to be the pet lover I've always wanted to be.

1 comment:

Fannie S. said...

3 weeks! So much fun.