Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Are you a singer?

I have always secretly wanted to sing. I have no desire to become a real artist, or go on tour. I don't even want to sell albums, I just would love to be able to sing in the car, sing for fun with friends without embarrassment, but I just can't. When I was younger I was a member of the elementary school chorus. Wasn't every girl though? I'd always stand towards the back and pretend to be singing at the Holiday concert. It was partly because I knew I wasn't any good and partly because no matter how much I practiced I could never remember the words. So I lip-synced, which at 8 and in the gym in front of parents who would smile and clap no matter what happened, is fine, but why do real artists always lip-sync? Why do women with amazing voices, who have made thousands, sometimes millions by singing go on talk shows, or other shows and only pretend to sing? Often they say they wrote the songs themselves, so it can't be that they can't remember the words.
And why, if that's the plan don't they at least learn how to fake it better?

2 comments:

Fannie S. said...

It's funny, I thought about singing as a challenge, but I have no idea if it would be even be plausable.

Love that you started this! I linked to you!

xo

Carrie Anne. said...

I lip sync happy birthday. pathetic, huh?